Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Summer Trends

Summer is finally here! The sun has had his hat on for a good couple of weeks now up North and ,despite some heavy rain every now and then, summer fashion has taken a firm hold. I've not always been one to follow trends per se, preferring instead to stick to what I know and love. I tend to find that being a bit short, having tubular legs and offensively pale (read: translucent...) skin hinders my ability to pull off particular trends, especially summer ones when lean limbs and glowing skin are practically obligatory. However, as my blogging has progressed I have discovered all manner of new wonderful things to try and have, thus far, been very impressed with my findings.

For instance, glowing skin can easily be achieved through various creams and lotions aimed at tanning, enhancing, shimmering etc. So a good exfoliation followed by a firming cream and a tanning moisturiser three-four times a week has left me looking like I can go out in the sun without bursting into flames. This is my summer dream-team...

Soap and Glory 'The Firminator' - Garmier Summer Body - Rimmel Sunshimmer


Secondly, I've finally seen the light when it comes to nail polish and started using colours that suit my skin-tone or enhance my tan. I'm in love with all the neon brights that are gracing the shelves this summer, particularly Barry M's Gelly Hi Shine collection, which is so easy to use and gives incredible results. Here are a couple of my faves: Key Lime (green) and Papaya (bright peach).


Thirdly, it turns out that every trend is replicated in hundreds of ways across a huge variety of both premium and high-street stores, so finding an item of clothing to suit my body shape need no longer be so painful. I scoured Primark for hours attempting to find the perfect cut-off denim shorts. My thighs are, shall we say, less than perfect so I needed a flattering fit that wasn't too long or too short. I eventually found a pair of soft, ripped up, high-waisted shorts that fit like a dream and are a perfect light blue. I shall be teaming them with a cool Rio vest-top, Soap and Glory 'The Firminator' and Rimmel Sunshimmer Instant Tan for our World Cup BBQ on thursday.


Maxi dresses have been around for a while now and they don't look like they're going anywhere fast. I've always been a fan. They're so universally flattering, slimming and a cool, fun way to rock a trend. I personally love adding a cute tee and plenty of jewellery for a personalised look.




Summer diets should be classed as a trend. They come and go like everything else, loved for a time then left forgotten once the next new thing rolls around. Clean eating, or raw food diets seem to be massive right now which is exactly the foodie trend I have gone for this summer. My wedding dress disagreed with me the first time I tried her on so out went lattes and muffin and in went matcha green tea and smoothies. I was inspired by deliciosulyella.co.uk and have not looked back. I'm pretty sure it won't last forever though, I'm getting married after all so there's one day of clean eating out the window! Two weeks in Thailand might have something to say about said diet too...

The amazing Ella Woodward of deliciouslyella.co.uk

Matcha green tea latte

Super berry breakfast smoothie

Whatever you decide to do this summer, enjoy yourself!!




No comments:

Post a Comment