Monday, April 21, 2014

Alpine Adventure!

A week in the Alps to escape my mind, relax my senses and reconnect with my best friend. More like a week of wine and cheese! 

My journey was amazing, driving through the mountains to arrive in the quaint little town of Morzine, built entirely of wooden chalets with panoramic, breathtaking views. 

(View from the chalet balcony.)


I was greeted by my beautiful Hannah with a bottle of sparkling wine (and obligatory reunion selfies...) and we sat in the sunshine devouring champagne truffles and chatting about everything that's happened over the last five months. Within half an hour it was like we'd never been apart. The day continued in much the same fashion, with wine and snacks aplenty. We eventually decided to go for dinner and I was treated to garlic snails - wow! They were absolutely delicious! Kind of like mussels but super savoury and extremely moreish. Hannah had a great knack for getting them out the shells with the little fork but I had to use the clamp thing to crush them out! A pizza, salad and litre (yes, a litre) of red wine later I was introduced to all of her friends, colleagues and housemates. In my hilariously drunken state they played a big practical joke on me and decided to all swap their names around. One guy even had me convinced we were related with the same last name! I spent sooo long trying to remember everyones' names, the next day I was so confused when they all seemed so wrong! Apparently I was very entertaining. 

Tuesday brought, quite possibly, the worst hangover in history. I spent the day wandering around the town in the sunshine, lazing on the sofa and munching on anything I could get my hands on. My first stop in the morning was the much talked-about bakery opposite Hannah's chalet. I'd heard that the cakes were a work of art and the macaroons to die for. So off I trotted and treated myself to a little frangipan tart for breakfast and a box of fruity macaroons to share. Needless to say they didn't last long! The vanilla ones were like a small piece of heaven. Totally delectable. 



We had a lovely cosy night in catching up and watching rubbish telly. Perfect. 

On wednesday we went for a delicious lunch at Hannah's favourite cafe then hiked up to a spectacular waterfall. I was so mesmerised by the scenery I went again the next day to take as many photos as I could. My Nick and Sully would have loved it!




The weather was wonderful the whole time. Sunny and warm with not a cloud in the sky. Perfect for putting my new Dior sunglasses to the test!


Thursday brought another day of enjoying the sunshine and the good food. Hannah decided to come home with me after a bit of an emotional night on wednesday, so we got her all packed up and ready to fly on friday morning. We nearly missed our transfer because we slept in for an hour! Oops... We made it though, and came home smiling and ready for lots of wedding and hen party planning. 

I am so happy to have her home! 


No comments:

Post a Comment