Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Bring on the Change

Frequent readers will be in no doubt that changes in my life seem to come quick and fast, and often all at the same time. And of course the newest chapter of my life is no different.

A few months before the wedding our business venture became a headache that needed cured and Nick had managed to get himself a job over the summer working down on the beach. As the weeks became shorter and the reality of married life loomed ever closer panic mode started to kick in as to what on earth we were going to do with our lives. After much consideration of interests partnered with job opportunities Nick decided to go back to university to do a Masters degree in Computer Science, and being denied any funding it was up to me to find a job to support us for another difficult year ahead...




The week before the wedding was totally jam-packed and stressful dealing with last minute wedding issues as well as applying for jobs and getting phone interviews, assessment days and the offer of the job all in the space of a few days. As the day of the wedding arrived our minds were at rest as Nick was all set to start his new degree and I had the promise of a new job to start on our return from Thailand. Obviously for us it was never, ever going to be that easy!

Nick still hadn't heard a single word from the University about his course just a week before he was due to start, so unfortunately had to spend time on our honeymoon chasing emails and getting any information he could get his hands on. Not exactly the romantic relaxing time it should have been. I still hadn't heard when my start date was going to be either, even though they had promised to email me. When we arrived home we pretty much went straight into action mode as Nick had to get registered and I had a phone message asking me to come straight in to discuss the job which would be starting the following Monday - the same day Nick started Uni. At this point I still had no idea who I was going to be working for or what my working hours would be, and even after a meeting with my new Operations Manager (who actually resigned on my second day...) I was no further forward. I started a two week, full-time training programme for my new position as Sotheby's Client Care Agent which was 9-5:30 Mon-Fri so with Nick also starting full-time Uni we had to get Nick's Mum to help out looking after the dog. Four days into my training I was still under the impression that I had been offered a part time role and it was only when I was given my shifts for the next three weeks that I realised this was not what I had signed up for at all. Despite the fact that I had made it crystal clear from the start that I couldn't work full-time or long shifts my new role is Monday-Friday 8.5 hours a day... Basically the complete opposite of what I said I could do. Fortunately for them I am very keen to continue this job as I love it so much, so after long and difficult discussions with Nick I have decided to stick at it. Nick has his schedule for Uni now and I have an idea of the weekly rota for my shifts so we should be able to fit in looking after Sully. I'm working late shifts this weeks which means I don't get home till 11pm every night (not super fun...) but it does mean that Sully has me all morning to take him for walkies and for company. Next week though he's probably going to have to go to the doggy day care which costs a fortune but my extra hours allow it. 

So, I'm now working full time, Nick is a student again and we've barely seen each other in two weeks despite being newly married. I guess this is jumping into reality at the deep end. I have no doubt that we can make it work, especially once we get into more of a routine. Weekends are sacred now!

Change is always hard, and I've been through so much in the last 18 months I was starting to think I couldn't cope with anything else. My new job is actually the perfect fresh start that I needed, and the first time I've done anything for myself in a while. I've really landed on my feet with a role that is perfect for me so it's not just a job to support us, it's a job I look forward to doing every day. So really it's better than I could have hoped for.

C'mon then change - gimme all you got.

No comments:

Post a Comment