Saturday, August 02, 2014

All the Lonely People

The Beatles once said - "Where do all the lonely people come from?".  They didn't know then and they probably still don't. 

When I think about all of the wonderful people I have in my life, family and friends be they close or distant, it makes me ponder this very same question. A lot has been going in my life over the last 18 months or so and I can safely say I would have been lost without my unconditional support system. 

When Nick proposed I was surrounded my genuine love and happiness, some people going seriously out of their way to congratulate us. Our families were overjoyed and planning began straight away as we didn't want to wait to become Mr & Mrs.

Not long after our engagement Nick and I made the extremely brave decision to start our own business. Well, a franchise. It turned out to be a total disaster from start to (very short) end and left us confused, miserable and our confidence was shattered. We had no idea what we were going to do next and we're still working on it! We've had to literally hold each other up at times just to make it through another week. 

Throw into the mix a young puppy in the form of Sully the Springer Spaniel and we had a recipe for sleepless nights and chronic fatigue. Adjusting our lives to include our tiny little ball of utterly helpless fur was not easy. He completely took over our home, our routine and our minds as every choice we made throughout the day involved his whereabouts or welfare. Many, many tears were shed, voices were raised and long walks on the beach became a chore rather than one of our favourite pastimes. Sully slowly became a very important member of the family and we sometimes look back and wonder what all of the fuss was about. I certainly found his company during the early stages of the business invaluable. Now he's our special little guy who loves us no matter what.

Wedding planning has had it's ups and downs. Fights with my Mum and forever changing my mind obligatory. At one point it seemed like every single thing was going wrong, being cancelled or was winding me up so much I retreated away from it all. My anxiety levels became unbearable. If it hadn't been for my very patient and generous parents and my very understanding fiance I would have gone crazy. It's amazing how grounding the people close to you can be.

More recently I've had some very emotional personal issues with a friend which have affected me in an irrevocable way. I've been amazed at how supportive and understanding all my friends and family have been. Even my wedding correspondents and friends of my parents have given me wonderful advice and a friendly face to talk to. 

So here is my question. Where do all the lonely people come from? I look around me and I don't see any lonely people. I don't see loneliness, I don't feel loneliness. I see love and understanding and I feel loved, cherished, appreciated. How could I ever be lonely.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me through the past year, there are far too many of you to mention.

No comments:

Post a Comment